02/04 - Prosthetics v.2

Details
Details

A couple of months ago we did our two week introduction to prosthetics. This was only a very short project but looking back it was a very good way to introduce us to new materials and ways of texturing and colouring skin. We had to design our own symbol for a cult which I initially struggle with as it was such a short project I didn't want to waste a lot of the making time. Because this was a uni project I was able to ask my peers for their opinions and bounce ideas off of them which meant I came up with an idea a lot quicker than I initially would have. Bouncing ideas off my class mate was really helpful and because of this I also did this at the beginning of our design and make project which helped me move my ideas along.

We were working in our studio and we finally had our own desk space so I decided to pin up some research materials and source photos, I found that surrounding myself with photos of thing that I want to work towards or that were inspiring my ideas really helped me to focus on my work and stay connected to the original idea well still developing it. Because this helped me so much in our prosthetic project I have structured my work space like this again which is really helping me make connection between my work and other artist work, keeping me on the surrealism track well. Furthermore, on reflection working with such messy materials meant I had to keep my desk very organised and clean which I have continued into this project. I have found that this has helped me save a lot of time and I will continue to work like this in third year. It has helped me to prevent mistakes made by mess as well and keep on track with my work and be in a more motivated positive mood, this in turn has effected my productivity and quality of work.

I really enjoyed this introduction to prosthetics because, even though I am yet to use these materials again, a lot of my class mates have so I have seen what kind of thing I can produce with them and how the colouring looks on a larger scale. Also I feel like I now have some idea of how to approach these materials if I ever did want to experiment with them next year.